- This event has passed.
From Burn to Bloom: The Art & Science of Wildfire Recovery
August 19 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Explore the environmental impact of wildfire through playful art+science activities, community reflection, and collective creation.
By Radical Open Science Syndicate + The Geospatial Centroid
Date and time: Saturday, August 19 · 11am – 4pm MDT
Location: Odell Brewing Company 800 East Lincoln Avenue Fort Collins, CO 80524
About this event
In 2020, our community experienced the largest wildfires in Colorado history. Since then, researchers at CSU have been working hard to understand how these high-elevation fires have impacted our ecosystems. To share this research with the public, we are inviting artists across disciplines to co-create hands-on stations for learning and making.
While wildfire is inherently destructive, post-fire ecology holds valuable lessons about hope, resilience, and recovery. From Burn to Bloom will combine the emotional power of art and artmaking with the educational power of scientific research to explore these themes.
From Burn to Bloom will be a fun and interactive community event with playful art and science activities, hopeful community reflection, and all-ages education. Get inspired by the ways nature repairs after fire and reflect on building more resilient landscapes–and mindsets–in the face of an ever-changing climate.
- Paint algae bloom watercolors + learn how fire affects our water quality!
- Make Aspen block prints + learn how they protect the forest from fire!
- Play in a (simulated) beaver pond + learn how beavers strengthen post-fire landscape!
- Write a love letter to the forest on seed paper + learn what plants grow after fire!
- Take a selfie with Smokey Bear + learn about how you can mitigate wildfire!